After my first article in which we provide an overview of Workspace ONE, I think it would be more beneficial to continue by explaining the Unified Endpoint Management part of Workspace ONE. I will continue this article by detailing the console part of UEM, which we briefly mentioned in the first article.
Introduction to Workspace ONE UEM Console
The Workspace ONE UEM console is a centralized place for endpoint management and various integrations. It consolidates unified endpoint management and enterprise mobility management (EMM) capabilities.
UEM console provides monitoring and managing all of the managed endpoints. In addition to this, it manages profiles, applications, contents, and resources that are assigned to the endpoints.
With UEM Console you can;
- Set up groups based on corporate directory or existing corporate structure
- View all managed devices from one platform
- Have a central repository for profiles, applications, and contents
- Access the UEM console from a Web browser at anytime and anywhere
- Integrate with existing systems for email, directory services, certificates and networks
To log in to your WS1 UEM console, open the supported brwoser, enter the tenant URL, and sign in with admin credentials. If you can’t reach the login page, you should make sure that the browser is up to date. UEM Console supports these browsers: Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
If you are a WS1 UEM SaaS customer, VMware provides an administrator account and a password. If you are setting up your own on-premises deployment, you have that information already.
You can integrate your existing directory services with the WS1 UEM. When the directory services integrated, you can log in to WS1 UEM Console with your directory administrator account.
If you want to log into the UEM Console on your mobile device, you need to append a “/airwatch” after the UEM hostname. It is the appendix of the WS1 console. We use this appendix for convey the system that the device should not be registered as an endpoint management. If you don’t use this appendix, the endpoint registration process will start as a default.
Establishing a Security PIN
After your first login, you are required to set another layer of security by creating a four-digit PIN. Every time you log into the Workspace ONE UEM console with a new administrator account, the console asks you to create the PIN. There is one PIN per administrator account.
This feature receives confirmation twice for the same action to prevent accidental commands. You can specify which console actions require the PIN, navigate to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Security > Restricted Actions.
Navigating the Workspace ONE Unified Endpoint Management Console
UEM Console tabs in briefly;
- Getting Started wizard helps get started quickly.
- In Hub, you can view Mobile Device Management(MDM) information, view information such as the most blacklisted apps etc., track your module licences, and run industry templates.
- In Devices, you can access an overview of common aspects of devices in your fleet, swap views to full dashboard, list view and detail view, and access access addtional tabs such as enrollment status, compliance policies, certificates etc.
- In Accounts, you can manage users and administrators, access anad manage user & administrator groups, roles and user settings.
- In Apps & Books, you can manage the app catalog, book catalog, Volume Purchase Program(VPP), upload internal apps to the Unified Catalog, and view application analytics and logs.
- In Content, you can access detailed overview of content use including history trends, user status etc., manage and upload content, and access content repositories, user storage, and VMware Content home screen configuration.
- In Email, you can access detailed overview of email information of your deployment such as managed devices, email policy violations, deployment type, time last seen etc.
- In Telecom, you can access a detailed overview of telecom-enabled devices including use history, romaing data etc., and view and manage telecom use and track roaming, including call, SMS, and content settings.
- In Groups & Settings, you can manage structures, types, and status related to organization groups, smart groups, app groups, and admin groups. You can configure entire system settings or access settings related to all Main Menu options.
On the upper right you can see the Quick Access toolbar. The toolbar has shortcuts that allow you to jump directly to frequently used areas of the console, such as the global search, notifications, saved pages, account, and help options.
The toolbar options;
- Add: You can add an administrator, device, user, compliance policy, content, profile, or application.
- Global Search: You can search all aspects of your Workspace ONE deployment.
- Notifications: This is the console specific messaging for environment health and maintenance.
- Saved: You can easily access your most-used console features.
- Help: Launch the online help portal.
Branding the Workspace ONE UEM Console
Workspace ONE UEM branding allows us to customize our Workspace ONE UEM console. The branding carries across to user-facing applications and Web pages, such as the self-service portal (SSP), Workspace ONE Content application, and so on.
If you have a custom CSS, you can use the custom CSS in your Workspace ONE UEM console to apply company branding.
We can brand our Workspace ONE UEM Console to display our company logo and color scheme. The branding can be customized at each OG level, allowing us to customize OG logos and colors.
As an administrator, you can customize company logos, logon page background image, SSP login page background, and colors.
You can access Branding section navigate Groups & Settings -> All Settings -> System -> Branding.
Here is the general view of Branding section;
In this article, I tried to tell you about the UEM Console and some of its capabilities. Of course, this was not all I was going to tell, I kept the rest of what we could do in the UEM Console for the next article. I will publish it soon, stay tuned! 😊